In order to join this study, participants must meet specific criteria outlined below which meet the CDC definition of MIS-C, and must sign a consent form. For some of these criteria, we will also need to look at medical record information to help us determine if someone is eligible. Contact us at [email protected]
for more information.
- Under the age of 21 years old.
- A fever at or greater than 38°C (100.4°F) for 24 hours or more.
- Laboratory results that show inflammation, including (but not limited to) one or more of the following: an elevated CRP, ESR, fibrinogen, procalcitonin, d-dimer, ferritin, LDH, or IL-6, elevated neutrophils, reduced lymphocytes and low albumin.
- Illness severe enough to need a hospital stay. Specific details of the hospitalization include:
- Multisystem (2 or more) organs involved, based on clinical judgment from record review, discharge diagnosis, laboratory or diagnostic tests.
- Organ system involvement includes but is not limited to cardiac, renal, respiratory, hematologic including coagulopathy, gastrointestinal including liver, dermatologic or neurological.
- A positive test for current or recent COVID (SARS-CoV-2) infection by one of the following:
- The RT-PCR Rapid Test, serology test, or antigen test or
- COVID-19 exposure within the 4 weeks prior to the onset of symptoms.
No other possible diagnosis that would explain symptoms, such as bacterial sepsis, murine typhus, staphylococcal or streptococcal shock syndromes.